标题: [美国国家公共广播] NPR 2020-07-09 [打印本页]
作者: qingchengshan 时间: 2020-7-9 08:04 标题: NPR 2020-07-09
NPR NEWS 20200709
二、若是改稿, 请发帖时标注'on 某某人'并在修改处标红.
作者: 蚂蚁 时间: 2020-7-13 20:36
1. PT celebrated the US relationship with Mexico today during a meeting with Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador. NPR's XX reports, Lopez Obrador's White House visit was the first foreign trip he's made as President.
PT says that ppl were backing against the idea that the US and Mexico would be able to work together. But the two countries had been able to find common ground.
"The relationship between US and Mexico has never been closer than it is right now."
Trump highlighted the USMCA trade deal with Mexico and Canada which is one of the few bright spots for Trump's trade agenda. Trump stepped with a complimentary tone throughout his public remarks of President Lopez Obrador. He did not mention building the wall on the southern border or his campaign pledge that Mexico would pay for it.
2. The Supreme Court today has moved to uphold Trump administration rules that allow some employers to refuse to provide free contraceptive coverage on religious grounds. In a decision the court saying the adm acted properly when it allowed more employers decide religious or more objections as a reason for opting out of providing birth control coverage. The Obama era law said most employers were required to cover birth controls as prevented service has no charge to remain in the insurance plans. It was estimated there were from 70 to 120 thousand women could be affected.
3. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says the state will make a decision in early August about whether to reopen schools in the fall. NPR's XX reports, the announcement comes as the Trump adm continues to pressure states to reopen schools amid a spike in new cv cases.
Governor C is blasting PT for threatening to pull funding from schools if they don't resume in-person classes this fall. Speaking at a briefing in Albany, C said the federal govt has no saying in the matter.
"It's not legal, it's not constitutional, and u r not going to bully New Yorkers. That's not going to happen, right. Threaten me, threaten me, threaten me. How many times we have been going through this. I'm still here, right?"
C says the state will issue new guidance for schools next week and that local districts have until July 31st to submit reopening plans. The govr did not specify whether the decision to reopen schools would be made on individual bases.
Renters who have been given some leave way during the cvp are about to run out of financial protections. That is in less changes are made. Survey by the US Census showed about 30% of renters say they have no or only slight ___ of being able to pay their rent next month. The Covid-19 Eviction Defense Project, a coalition of economic and legal experts, estimates between 19 to 23 million Americans are at risk of eviction by the end of September.
5. Stocks gain ground today. The Dow was up 177 points, the NASDAK rose 148 points today.
6. The executive branch of the EU is out a recommendation. The bloc boost the production of clean hydrogen. ___ a plan which is so called the Climate Neutrality by the year 2050. Currently hydrogen which is produced almost exclusively from fossil fuels provides less than 2% of Europe's energy makes. It would like to increase that at 14% over the next 30 years.
7. In Brussels, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has made an appeal to EU lawmakers to work together to overcome the economic fallout from the cvp. As XX reports, Merkel's speech comes ahead at top negotiations for an EU recovery fund.
Angela Merkel said she was relieved to be back among real people as she addressed lawmakers in the European parliament. Her trip to Brussels is her first foreign excursion since the start of the pandemic. She warned lawmakers they face the EU's biggest challenge yet.
No body will make it through this crisis alone. We are all vulnerable. European solidarity isn't simply a human gesture but a sustainable investment. Merkel must convince her European counterparts to agree to a 740 billion Euro joint recovery fund, which then has to be ratified by the EU parliament and then by all 27 national parliaments within the EU.
8. The national coalition of labor unions, along with racial and social justice organizations, say they intend to stage a mass walkout later this month in protest against systemic racism. Because of the strike for Black Lives, the event is expected to walk tens of thousands of workers. It will be held July 20th.
|欢迎光临 普特英语听力论坛 (http://forum.putclub.com/)
Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0|