标题: [美国国家公共广播] NPR 2020-10-23 [打印本页]
作者: qingchengshan 时间: 2020-10-23 08:04 标题: NPR 2020-10-23
NPR NEWS 20201023
二、若是改稿, 请发帖时标注'on 某某人'并在修改处标红.
作者: 蚂蚁 时间: 2020-10-23 23:33
1. For incumbent Donald Trump and Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden, tonight is their final scheduled face-off. The two presidential contenders are meeting on the debate stage in Nashville where they'll face questions as both try to score final points with voters. It's a potential opportunity for Trump to turn the tide in what is contentious campaign. There were three scheduled debates, but the second was canceled after the President contracted Covid-19 and refused to take part in a virtual debate. Tonight's debate will feature the ability for the moderatorto mute the microphones during the candidates initial two minutes remarks on each topic.
2. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says congressional Democrats and the Trump administration are just about there on the next round of coronavirus relief funding. NPR's XX reports, the two sides have been working toward a bipartisan deal that's capable of passing by the House and the Senate.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin are serious about reaching an agreement.
"If these talks did not have a purpose, and if we were not making progress, I won't spent 5 seconds in this confrontation and I say that in front of, to the Secretary. Why would I even be talking to? and he says it's same thing to me."
The two sides are trying to narrow their differences on the next bill as millions of Americans remain out of work during the pandemic. The main sticking points continues to be the size and the scope of the measure with Pelosi pushing for additional funding for state and local governments and an extension of extra weekly unemployment benefits.
3. A first in terms of an antiviral medication to treat those hospitalized as a result of Covid-19. The Food and Drug Administration announcing today to approve the drug remdesivir瑞德西韦 to be administered by IV静脉注射 to those 12 years or older. Gilead Sciences吉利德科技公司, the maker of the drug, is calling its medics, medicine Veklury(公司内部对瑞德西韦的称呼）. A studding in US found that administering the drug cut the time it took to recover from Covid-19. (新冠平均恢复期10-15天，用此药后病程缩短5天）
4. Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is closed to visitors because of a wildfire, the East Troublesome fire erupted over night. XX from Colorado Public Radio reports it's burnt more than 125,000 acres.
The fire started last week in Grand County, a mountain community about two hours northwest of Denver. Yesterday high winds rapidly pushed the flames east toward Rocky Mountain National Park. The fire has also prompted hundreds of evacuations.
XXX is the incident commander.
"Today's mission is going to be a wise___ AV___, it's going to be evacuations and ensuring that the people are out of the way of future's fire route."
XXX says crews expected another day of significant fire spread with more dry conditions and high winds. It's been a historic year for wildfires in Colorado. The state has already seen its two largest fires ever on record. And one of those is still burning.
5. On Wall Street......
6. A three-judge panel has again blocked the Trump administration from its efforts to exclude people in the US illegally from being counted during the 2020 census. The latest decision dealing with the issue is whether those counts can be used in the process of giving___ up Congressional seats. A decision from a panel of judges in California goes further than the ruling by a New York panel, saying Trump's order violates the constitution. New York panel ignored the issue of constitutionality in its ruling.
7. The city of Lagos拉各斯 in Nigeria remains under a 24-hour curfew. NPR's XX reports, it comes after a night of rioting and looting.
On Tuesday night the military opened fire on peaceful protesters. Amnesty International says at least 12 were killed. But on Wednesday protesters returned to the streets and angry mobs poured out across the country. They set fire to police stations and the Ports Authority building港口管理局大楼 in Lagos. Today the chaos continues. Local news reported looting, gunfire, and a huge plume of smoke coming from a prison in Lagos. These protests began with demonstrators calling for an end to a police unit notorious for its brutality and corruption. But the grievance不满 has become many and the protest grow into the biggest Nigerian demonstrations in decades.
8. No Ho, ho, hoes from Santa this year， the flagship Macy's store梅西百货 in New York, Macy's announcing the in-store Santa that has greeted kids as part of nearly 160 year old holiday tradition there will be absent due to the coronavirus pandemic. Macy's says there's up to a quarter of a million people a year visit Santa at the New York store.
|欢迎光临 普特英语听力论坛 (http://forum.putclub.com/)
Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0|