只用一本书提高英语听力能力!重温经典名著双语阅读小编推荐:跟着纪录片学英语不背单词和语法,轻松学英语
返回列表 回复 发帖

[report整理] SENEWS-2010-03-29

提高英语听力能力 找对方法很重要!

[Homework]SENEWS-2010-03-29

This is the VOA Special English Development Report.Millions of babies and children could be soon  protected against the deadly disease pneumonia.Two leading drug companies have agreed to supply vaccines against pneumococcal disease to the world's poorest countries at a reduced price.Pfizer and Glaxo Smith Kline signed the historic advanced market commitment agreement last week.The global alliance for vaccines and Immunizations or GAVI,helped negotiate the deal. The group says the low cost vaccines could save as many as 7 mllion lives by the year 2030.
The World Health Organization says pneumonia kills almost 2 million children each year.This is more than AIDS,malaria and measles combined.It is the leading cause of death among young children.And more than 90 percent of those deaths happen in the developing world.
These are all reasons why GAVI chose pneumococcal vaccine for its first advanced market commitment project.The private public parterships are designed to increase the availability of low cost vaccines in poor areas.
Last year ,the governments of Italy ,the United Kingdom,Canada,Russia and Norway joined with the Bill and Melinda Gates  Fundation.They provided one and a half  billion dollars to launch the pneumococcal vaccine project.Jeffrey Rowland is with the GAVI alliance.He says the money helps to persuade drug makers to take part in the project.
The biggest challenge getting life saving vaccines to poor countries is that there is no market people can not afford them.That's why we don't have a  malaria vaccines yet because no one in rich countries really suffers malaria.What we did for the pneumococcal vaccine was we said we will pay 1.5 billion dollars if you develop the right vaccines and right valumes that we need and at the right price. And it was a gamble.
That gamble paid off.Glaxo Smith Kline and Pfizer have agreed to provide thirty million doses of vaccines each year for ten years.The first 20 percent of the vaccines will sell for 7 dollars a dose.The remaining 80percent will cost three dollars and fifty cents per dose.That is ninty percent less than current prices in the United States.
Mister Rowland says the agreement is a huge achievement for developing world.
Vaccination which we tend to take for granted in countries like the United States or in Western Europe,in fact a lot of us do not even know which diseases we have been vaccinated against .That's not the case in poor countries vaccination is a life or death question for poor people and if you can vaccinate a child to prevent disease from happening.It's a lot more cost effective than it is to treat that disease afterwards.  
And that's the VOA Speical English Development Report,written by June Simms.I'm Steve Ember.








This post was generated by put listening repetition system,  Check the original dictation thread!
返回列表